A Wander Through The Canal Garden

‘Wharf House’ was indeed built, in 1794, as a wharf. It served as the eastern end of the Leominster Canal. Coal was loaded onto barges where we now have our Spring Garden, White Garden and Canal Garden. Almost every time we turn a spade in these parts of the garden, we unearth bits of coal. The canal is long since defunct but very clear evidence of it remains. The Canal Garden is our nod to this industrial heritage. The main feature of the garden is a long, rectangular pond, which calls to mind the canal itself. The front of the house is entirely in the Canal Garden and the planting seeks to compliment the mellow pinky red 18th Century bricks.

Leave a Reply


%d bloggers like this: